Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunday Funday

Today Michelle, Kaylee, Jenne, Matti and I decided to volunteer with the English Ministry I take my Korean classes through. Once a month, they spend a day doing activites with the children at Samheung School.We met at the church and smashed into a large van along with 7 or 8 others. We spent the day with 20 or 25 children and the other volunteers at the school. This school is a safe place for North Korean refugee children to live and learn. The children were awesome. On the drive over, we heard some terribly sad stories about what these children had been through. However, we were greeted with big smiles and happy faces. We spent the rest of the afternoon making Valentine's day cards, eating lollipops and oreos, and playing domino's with the kids. Setting up lines and lines of dominos is definitely a test of patience and team work. Just when we almost had our design complete, someones elbow or foot would knock down our rows and we'd have to start again. For not speaking the same language, I think my team did pretty good. I took a bunch of photos but for the safety of the children and their families, we were asked not to post any photos of the children's faces on the internet. 

Just when we'd start to get close to the finish line...
...they'd all fall down.
But we kept building,
And finished :)
Jenne, Michelle, Kaylee, and Pastor Sam's daughter.
It was a great afternoon, with great people, and wonderful children. 
I left with a big smile on my face, and will definitely be back next month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment